About

I'm passionate about finding and sharing ideas that feed creativity and inspiration in this weary world. Because we're so surrounded with illusion and lies, I hope this blog will help others in their quest to get a bit closer to the truth. I'd also like to say that opinions expressed in this blog are not necessarily mine or those featured here. Oh, and if you choose to use any images/words from this site, kindly obtain permission from all relevant parties and add the necessary links and references.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Interview: a gorgeous situation of goodluck

Emma Magenta was born in Sydney, Australia. Her drawing talent was recognised at an early age when she was commended for ‘The Best Depiction of Samson’ in a school art competition. Later, and perhaps on this merit alone, Emma attended art school for several years. World travel, palmistry and martial arts beckoned her from her studies, but eventually Emma’s art called her home. (bio and pic from Random House Australia)

Is Emma Magenta your given name?
Magenta was the name given to the female character that i would draw on everything and everyone for many years....over time i became known as Emma Magenta...now i am officially Emma Magenta.

What/who are your influences?
So many things...memories, people whom i meet in passing, whom i observe from a distance and those whom i have worked with. Animals of all kinds, nature in general...different objects that overtime become like a talisman, music especially, books in a big way, humour, my life experience and the conversations that emerge with friends out of intense personal histories...

Is Third Drawer Down Gallery the first place you were shown and how did it come about?
No, i have been exhibiting since about 1994 in various places, but TTD is the first place where i have agreed to representation. I was approached to create a limited edition Tea Towel and handkerchiefs and then Abi Crompton (Director of TTD) decided to start a gallery to exhibit all the original works of the artists with whom she has worked...we each have an annual solo exhibition.

What are the challenges you face when creating?
Not boring myself or seeking familiar ground as a way of safety...to constantly surprise myself and amuse myself by what i am doing and to at least break through into a new area of my own creative potential. To always be honest and not seek confirmation from anything other than my own feeling of delight in the process.

How did you first come to be published?
i was working in Berkelouw Books in Paddington and i had alot of my work on the wall that i had been creating while i sold books...a man involved in publishing came into the book store and saw my work and offered me a book deal...it was pretty much like a gorgeous situation of goodluck meeting joyful hard work.

What measures did you take in order to get your work shown? How did you know what exactly to do?
i gave up doing the typical method of hunting down gallery space and decided to embrace the limitations of my situation (ie: being stuck in a casual job to fund the creative life) and make the bookshop which is such a public space; my own domain...my gallery and just do the work and connect with people passing through and by and i just gave my work away for free if anyone was into it... until after awhile people began to commission me. Now i work full-time as a writer and artist. i just got into the magic that coincides with being non-attached to outcomes and after awhile i ended up just finding myself where i wanted to be before i stopped trying to make it happen.

0 musings:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More