About

I'm passionate about finding and sharing ideas that feed creativity and inspiration in this weary world. Because we're so surrounded with illusion and lies, I hope this blog will help others in their quest to get a bit closer to the truth. I'd also like to say that opinions expressed in this blog are not necessarily mine or those featured here. Oh, and if you choose to use any images/words from this site, kindly obtain permission from all relevant parties and add the necessary links and references.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Interview: Candy for the Soul

Kim and Jason are spreading the ideas of escaping adulthood and combating adultitis through their blog and business ventures. I spoke with them to better understand where their inspiration comes from. (pic and title taken from Kim and Jason's site)

Who or what were your influences? Jason: I have been influenced by a great many things. Most notable have been my parents and my faith in God. I have also been inspired by Charles Schulz (the creator of Peanuts), Bill Watterson (the creator of Calvin & Hobbes), George Lucas (the creator of Star Wars) and Sam Butcher (the creator of Precious Moments) to name a few.

Kim: There are so many inspiring people and groups who have influenced me along the way, such as Mr. Rogers, Dr. Phil, Patch Adams, the Make-A-Wish Foundation and Alton Brown. I would not have the courage to walk this journey if it weren't for my relationship with God and the unending enthusiasm of both sides of our family.

Did you want to own your own business when you were a kid and if not, what did you want to do? Jason: When I was a kid, I originally wanted to be a superhero. But even more than that, as far back as I can remember, I wanted to be an artist of some sort. I loved to draw!
Kim: For the longest time I wanted to be a vet. My first venture as an entrepreneur came in junior high when I worked as a pet sitter in our neighborhood. I loved caring for those who needed help, which is why my first endeavor out of college was working as a kindergarten teacher. I've found there's little different about herding a bunch of cats and herding a classroom full of five-year-olds.

When you were starting out, were you afraid and/or overwhelmed? Jason: I have always been pretty shy. I was quite the chicken as a youngster. But after graduating college and getting married, I knew I wanted to do something with "Kim & Jason" and that passion has driven me to push past the fears. The vision I have for it is still quite overwhelming, but I just try to take it day by day, and my faith gives me the courage to face the unknown.
Kim: I've heard it said that if you are not overwhelmed by your vision, then you're not dreaming big enough. Jason and I have a very clear vision and although we haven't always known the exact steps to take to get there, our faith has helped turn our fear into productive energy. At the beginning we grew it slow and steady, with my kindergarten teaching salary to pay the bills. Sometimes I feel like it's actually harder now, since we have more invested, and have abandoned many safety nets along the way.
How long was it from the time that you came up with the concept to the time when it was put into action?
Jason: I first started drawing the characters as a sort of sappy way to win over Kim when we were dating. For the first few years, they were just a little thing between us. Eventually, people started commenting on the drawings and the gifts I was making for her. Some people wondered if a calendar I had made for Kim was available for sale. I spent the next few years just working on Kim & Jason on the side, and decided to go full force into it after we got married in 2000, which was about 5 years after the first little drawings. Of course, things have evolved quite a bit with the company since then.
Kim: Picking up where Jason left off, the first few years were mainly about the comic strip, some product development and increasing our business know-how. As we journeyed the vision became clearer and clearer, giving us the language and tools we use today to explain it all. (Adultitis, Escaping Adulthood, etc.)

Did you need a lot of support (whether emotional or financial) to realize this dream and did it come easily?
Jason: We've had SO MUCH support over the years from our parents, family, and friends (both emotional and financial.) It has certainly been anything but easy, although I am sure that the more "successful" we become, the more people will assume we were an overnight sensation. There have been a lot of financial sacrifices, sleepless nights, and anxious moments along the way. There are times we've wondered if we were crazy, but the belief that our friends and family had in us often kept us going.
Kim: One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was "A life of compare leads to a life of despair." We have had to remind ourselves of this many, many times. As our friends took the standard path of finding jobs with good benefits, buying homes, cars, having kids, etc., the differences in our choices have been stark. We have approached this business as an investment in ourselves and all of those we connect along the way.

You've created not so much a business, but a lifestyle company. Some of your endeavors are: Escape Plan TV, Club K&J, Lemonade Stand, K&J comic strip, podcasting and supporting at least 6 charities. How were you able to consolidate your ideas so that they make sense?
Jason: It is always a challenge to present a solid, cohesive message. It's especially difficult when you are so close to it. It's hard to tell if what you're presenting is really coming across as you've intended. We really started out almost exclusively focused on the comic strip and its characters, but the company has definitely evolved into the lifestyle company you describe. That constant evolution has kept us on our toes, making sure that it makes sense to people and that the message of improving your life by being more childlike is getting across.
Kim: As our vision has become clearer, the baby steps really started to add up and the new facets being born were just natural. We have surrounded ourselves with amazing people, who lift us up and challenge us to go beyond again and again. It all boils down to having the clear vision and working each day towards accomplishing the most logical actions steps. It's all been a very natural progression.

How do you find the time to run every aspect of the company (including speaking engagements)? Do you give over a lot of control to your co-workers?
Jason: It does take a lot of time and effort to manage all of the irons in the fire. One key is that we are passionate about what we do, so it never seems like work. We do delegate quite a bit to our co-workers. The secret is to put people in positions that take advantage of their natural interests and talents. For instance, Jenna is our Chief Sales Servant, handling most of the things related to our online store, The Kim & Jason Lemonade Stand. She is very creative and great with people, which makes her a perfect person to head up customer service. Kim is very organized and detail oriented, so she does a great job managing all of the travel schedules and details involved with the speaking side of things.
Kim: Honestly, I rely on divine intervention/inspiration to help me prioritize it all. Jason and I spend two hours each morning on self-development- exercising, meditation and breathing, praying, reading positive books, etc.. I think that is a secret to keeping our minds clear and open for decision making and creative thoughts.

What advice would you give to anyone who has a dream and is afraid to follow it? Jason: I would encourage them to think about what life will look like twenty years from now if you DON'T go for it. There are always fears and excuses when you start out, but you can't let that deter you. To me, the regret of not having even tried is much worse than any short-term fears that intimidate you.
Kim: Your dream is bigger than you, and it effects so many more people than just you. You have to go for it! Your role is a crucial piece to this big puzzle.

What brings you comfort and joy?
Jason: Doing what I love and loving the people around me. Oh, and watching football on a cold snowy day with a pot of chili cooking on the stove.
Kim: Every once in a while I get those moments, whether it's at a speaking engagement or writing a blog post, where I know that I am completely "on purpose," fulfilling what I was meant for. It overwhelms me with peace, comfort, and joy!

0 musings:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More