About

I'm passionate about finding and sharing ideas that feed creativity and inspiration in this weary world. Because we're so surrounded with illusion and lies, I hope this blog will help others in their quest to get a bit closer to the truth. I'd also like to say that opinions expressed in this blog are not necessarily mine or those featured here. Oh, and if you choose to use any images/words from this site, kindly obtain permission from all relevant parties and add the necessary links and references.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Interview: Shirking's Not An Option!

Today's interview is with the wonderful handmade dollmaker (Munecas), Cozbi Cabrera.

“I was going to a lot of antique shows. The dolls I saw were often gross stereotypes, not made in love. I’d leave there feeling really dejected. I decided to make the sort of dolls I wanted to see... dolls with an aspect of grace, beauty and character.” (quote and images courtesy of Cozbi.com)


What dreams/hopes did you have for yourself as a child?

There's a audio recording of my father interviewing his four children, and when my turn came (I must have been 6 yrs old) , I spoke my name in a really shaky voice and stated that I wanted to be an artist. Some years later I thought it'd be great if I could be a doctor and (shhh!) a hairdresser as well!

As a person of color and a doll lover, I understand how difficult and even hurtful it can be to find not just dolls but images of us that are loving and show appreciation. When you were a child, were there images you became aware of that influenced who you are today?
I would imagine the first images that influenced me were my parents. They wanted the best for their children and were willing to sacrifice their immediate wants for our long-term benefits. They were willing to invest. They were honest and hardworking and believed that doing the right thing was more important than having a inventory of impressive objects. My mother's specific message was shirking's not an option! Do everything to the best of your ability. Put yourself into your choice of work and assigned tasks.

Sidney Poiter's images also influenced me as a child. His best, no matter how dire the situation, always shaped the outcome.

What made you decide to change your career from art director to doll making andhow difficult was it for you to make the switch?
With my love of designing and love of typography, I never imagined I'd stop art directing. But I felt something else was calling me, that I had to be challenged and to test my mettle. I needed to find my way without corporate sponsorship -- to create something that was an uncompromised expression. I had no idea what it would look like, but I was willing to journey. I don't recommend that sort of leap of faith for everybody -- some people absolutely must know where their next meal is coming from! But that initial uncertainty was the very thing I needed to start. It's what got me praying, it quickened my senses, caused me to look for answers with intent, kept me disciplined and inspired me to organize myself to deliver. Getting to market was the most challenging aspect for me. My conditioning was to deflect compliments and now I was being called upon to sell! So I made the most stunning dolls I could muster and put them out with a hope they'd sell themselves.

Starting a business in New York can be daunting, what fears did you have and how did you overcome them?
I didn't necessarily think of New York as daunting. I did think while vacationing, wouldn't it be great to set up my business on this mountaintop overlooking the sea? But I every time I return to New York from another city or country, my pulse quickens with anticipation. Every nation, language and culture is represented in NY. It's teeming with resources, ideas, and inspiration. It's the starting a business that can be daunting. But it's also an exciting opportunity to create something. To put your mind, hands and heart to something. To cultivate. I think the fear comes when we question will be able to survive while we're setting things up. It's been helpful for me to write down my concerns and list various options and solutions to pressing matters. It allows me to prioritize and get out of the circular, non-productive thinking patterns that show up with fear. It's also helpful to have someone with which you can bounce ideas so you're not entirely in your head.

How did you turn your idea to make dolls into action and then success?
I got started. My made my first doll. Then I made a second, third, etc. I began to refine them and never stopped refining. I showed them around. When people started to buy them at work, I thought, um, maybe I have something. I put together a plan -- very limited and not very sophisticated, i.e.the lemonade stand business model -- because I didn't know what I was doing. I'd never done it before, so it was full of assumptions and holes, but I was on my way and I kept refining that plan and haven't stopped refining. I followed my mother's early advice to do everything to the best of my ability, to put myself into my choice of work and I prayed for guidance and direction and doors opened up. Since then I've developed a line of clothing for women and children that sells at our retail shop in Brooklyn, NY. The response has been tremendous.

You've gone back to your first love of drawing by illustrating 2 books. How did you become involved with Greenwillow Books?
I was doing a show in New York with the dolls. I'm sure I was standing quietly behind my display or something, but Virginia Duncan, then senior editor at Greenwillow was taken by the dolls and wanted to know if I might be interested in illustrating a book. She promised to send the manuscript for me to review. It showed up the very next day. I think she was thinking I would illustrate through textiles, embroidery, etc. I turned them in as paintings. They invited me to illustrate a second book (Thanks A Million) and since then I've illustrated two books that for Random House and Houghton Mifflin that are due out in '08.

What brings you comfort and joy?
Expressing love to my family and ever growing circle of friends, through the work I do, to the people I encounter brings me comfort and joy.

One last thing for comfort and joy! My weekly walk in the woods...

0 musings:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More